FAQs of AFFI
1. What is AFFI?
The Association of the Filipino Franchisers Inc. (AFFI) is the Philippines’ prime trade organization committed to promoting responsible micro small medium enterprise businesses through franchising. It is consist of Filipino corporate presidents, CEOs, and prominent businessmen who recognize the competitive potential of the local franchising industry in the global market. Duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the association serves as a governing body that safeguards the interest of its members and innovates ways to further its advocacies.
2. Do I have to be a franchiser to join AFFI?
No. All entrepreneurs, whether existing or non-franchise owners, business owners, or those looking for business opportunities, are welcome to join the group and learn more about franchising and other current business trends. The organization is composed of a diverse group of both franchisers and non-franchisers from various industries.
3. What are the requirements for joining AFFI?
- Must submit an Online Membership Application Form
- SEC and or DTI Certification (For Corporation: Attached List of Incorporators:)
- 1 Yr. Business Operations for Enterprise Member
- 2 Yrs. Business Operations for Franchise Member
- BIR Certification | TIN Registration Form
- Current Mayor’s Permit
- Certificate of IPO Trademark Registration
- Company Profile and Organizational Chart
- CV of President | Owner
- Letter of Intent and or Board Resolution applying as Member
- Photos of Owner, Store, Commissary and Office
- Additional Requirements for Franchise Brands:
- Years Franchise System Established. (Copy of Mayor’s Permit of the Year the Franchise Outlet first opened)
- Must have 2 Owned Franchise Outlets and 2 Franchisee Outlets. (Copies of Current Mayor’s Permit of the Franchise Outlets)
4. What are the benefits of being an AFFI member?
Members of AFFI benefit from exclusive opportunities to network with other entrepreneurs and respected business leaders. Regular meetings are geared towards fostering camaraderie among its members while addressing topics relevant to current business issues.
AFFI regularly holds the following activities to benefit its members and the general public:
- Dialogue Insights Consultations and Exchange with Government Agencies and Partners
- Open House
- Business Seminars and Conferences
- Annual Trade Shows
- Community Projects
5. What is a franchise?
A franchise is a right or license awarded by a company to an individual to market its products or services in exchange for a certain fee. A franchise allows the franchisee the right to use the company’s name and logo, and assures him of significant support from the company in the over-all operations of his store.
6. What are the different types of franchising?
There are four types of franchising:
a. Product Distributorship
b. Business Format
d. Multi-Branding or Co-Branding
7. What is a franchise fee? How is it different from capitalization?
A franchise fee is the amount you pay a company to obtain the right to set up shop and sell their products or services. It is different from the capitalization expense, which is an estimation of the total amount a prospective franchisee would need to invest to begin operations. Included in the capitalization fee are the franchise fee, cost of equipment, materials, construction fees, etc.
8. I want to buy a franchise. What should I do?
Before buying a franchise, make sure you understand the basics of franchising and know enough about the company you intend to buy into. Our article on “Franchising Basics” gives prospective franchisers an overview and a rough guide on what to do.
9. I want to expand my business through franchising. What should I do?
Congratulations! Franchising is definitely a good way to expand your business, but you have to do it the right way. By joining AFFI, you get assistance from seasoned franchisers and franchise developers on how to go about franchising.
10. Do I have to be in the food and beverage business to be a franchiser?
No. While food and beverages ranks no. 1 both in the country and in the world as the top franchise industry, other sectors such as retail, service, automotive, maintenance, building & construction, etc. have expanded their businesses through franchising.
11. I’m hooked. How do I join?
If you are interested in joining AFFI and your business meets the above-mentioned requirements, you may contact the AFFI Secretariat at (02) 501-5449 or email us at email@example.com and our team will attend to all of your concerns.